*Note: this is a district-only feature.
After you have added the item to the district item bank, you are ready to begin defining the short text item. A short text question is a short response type question that allows the student to enter text in response to a stimulus; usually just a few words. There are two sections that are used to define the short answer:
- Answer Key
How to Create a Short Text Item for an Item Bank
- To add an optional passage or a calculator, click the Add Passage or the Add Tool button.
- In the Basic section, add the question in the Stimulus field. If you want to add a word limit for the students' answers, enter it in the Maximum Length field.
- In the Placeholder field, type any text you want displayed in the student answer box. This could be further instructions, or even a hint about the answer.
- In the Answer Key section, in the Value field, type the correct answer. Toggle the Case Sensitive button to Yes to make it case-sensitive.
- Before you publish the item, validate that the answers are functioning correctly. To do this, select the answers in the preview pane and click the Validate icon. Correct answers should be highlighted in green and incorrect answers should be highlighted in red.
- After you have finished creating the item, click the Publish button to share the item with any district teachers, or click the Publish and Reserve button to share the question with district administrators only.